M5ez 2.0: testers wanted...

• Its all yours..... Adjustments is no problem, its all vector gfx.
    You can drop me a line at my hotmail.com account for the changes, just add my forum nick in front.

Cheers

• Hi Rop,
    I've got my m5stack since one week to make a remote interface for my home-automation system. So, I was naturally driven to m5ez, which was only laking multitasking (for mqtt) and a timeout LCD backlight management which like I read is part of v2.0. I'll be glad to be able to test it if possible. Thanks.
    Jean

• 0_1538901434940_M5ez_gfx.png
    0_1538903569611_M5ez_gfx_bw.png
    This is spinning in my head... next to this dual core thingy. I guess this is what you get when i get frustrated from programming... lol

• @r_255 Very, very nice !!! Can we get your theme and icons somewhere ? Thanks

• Everything you see is just work in progress and hand drawn in vectors( sunday morning frustrations ). Ill make a bundle with stuffbut sofar its just all in one screen and vector. Would be great to make it a community effort and make it into a demo file that is included with M5ez.

Not sure about what the end point is, can we scale sliders. re position them.

I did re use most of my old gfx for a ipad interface
    and that is downloadable here

http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php?cam=/Graphics

• Hi guys, new user here. Tried M5ez installing from Manage Libraries, went to compile M5ez-demo, got the following error.

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows 7), TD: 1.44, Board: "M5Stack-Core-ESP32, QIO, 80MHz, Default, 921600, None"

C:\Users\prickle\Documents\Quadcopter\Arduino\libraries\M5ez\src/M5ez.h:28:49: fatal error: ezTime.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

• @prickle
    You have to load @Rop’s ezTime Arduino library.
    Instructions are actually in the upgrade notes but I didn’t read those either.

• I totally missed that link, cheers!

• Happy with v2.0
    The slider works fine now !

While looking into your code to find the brightness slider i realized you did a shit load of work in a short period ... Amazing!
    Big thank you!

0_1539752015056_dimmer_00.jpg

Also made one based on the image menu and let the slider jump in steps of 20 and simply change the image
    Still having a hard time with the programming, but slowly i am getting some where.

• @r_255 I would not go that route and write code that draws the image. And I would use the M5ez buttons on the display. If you want multiple sliders (for RGBW etc), you will end up wanting the long/short press functions to switch sliders and operate the sliders without too many presses. Your images have made me think about how to make things more generic and configurable...

• Hey Rop,

I agree, and what you see is just a image from my design program. To get a estimate on how it looks in total on the m5. In the working model i use your header and buttons.

i did just adjust the dark theme a bit and in between my image shows.

Just playing with your work and see where the limits are. So far my programming is what limits me.

Stuck on how to get the _brigtness value into my mqtt.
    Tried almost everything i can think of, did look into other code
    did look how variables are used, but this syntax is over my head. This publishes _Brightness as text but not as value.
    So close and still far away... It frustrates me over the past 2 days now.

client.publish("domoticz/in", "{"command": "switchlight", "idx": 143, "switchcmd": "Set Level", "level": _brightness; }");

It's just the basic skills i am missing, but in general i can understand what is happening.

I agree on usability like in rgbw, but left or right and next option will set the previous isnt that hard. Less pushes makes things more use able, thats something that is my experience.

a double push to go a level up/cancel might be more easy to understand for end users of the interface. While a enter or a level down is a single push of the middle button.

Again, thanks for all your hard work ! and i do hope that the community contributes a bit more as in sharing experiences and code. So we dont expect 3.0 but there is still hope for v2.99 ;o)

cheers
    Robin

• @r_255 I don't know about this mqtt implementation, but in general, one would use _brightness.toInt() or _brightness.toFloat() to turn variable _brightness from a String into a number. Hope that helps.

• void menu_brightness_slider(){
      ezProgressBar bl ("Keukenlamp dimmer", "Set brightness", "left#off#ok#up#right#on");
                while (true) {

String b = ez.buttons.poll();

if (b == "right" && brightness <= 90) brightness += 10;
                  if (!brightness) brightness = 100;
                  if (b == "left" && brightness > 11) brightness -= 10;
                  if (b == "left" && brightness < 11) brightness = 0.01;
                  bl.value((float)(brightness));
                  if (b == "ok") break;
                  if (b == "off")brightness = 0.01;
                  if (b == "on")brightness = 100;
                  if (b == "up") loop();
    }

// Prepare a JSON payload string
      String payload = "";
      payload += "{";
      payload += "\"command\": \"switchlight\", \"idx\": 143, \"switchcmd\": \"Set Level\", \"level\":";
      payload += brightness;
      payload += "}";

// Send payload
      char attributes[100];
      payload.toCharArray( attributes, 100 );
      client.publish( "domoticz/in", attributes );
      Serial.println( attributes );
      menu_brightness_slider();
    }

This works ! :O)

0_1539883795078_m5dimmer.jpg

Now a long press set on or off or back to menu

• 0_1540105015957_IMG_0135.jpg

Well slowly i am getting somewhere

• @r_255 Cool! :)

• Strang bug appears in this code

#include <M5ez.h>
    #include <ezTime.h>
    #include "images.h"
    #define MAIN_DECLARED
    void setup() {
    #include <themes/default.h>
    #include <themes/dark.h>
    ezt::setDebug(INFO);
    ez.begin();
    }
    void loop() {
    ezMenu images;
    images.imgBackground(TFT_BLACK);
    images.imgFromTop(40);
    images.imgCaptionColor(TFT_WHITE);
    images.addItem(sysinfo_jpg, "Photo Turntable", sysInfo);
    images.run();
    }

The title "Photo Turntable" get printed on the top and the bottom of the screen.
    (sorry no picture)

• @ajb2k3 You're absolutely right: the feature to be able to change the captions of text menus while the menu is active had introduced this error on some image menu displays. Fixed in version 2.0.1 which I just released. :)

• @rop
    I was messing with the image menu trying to create an image screen.

• @ajb2k3 Single image screens can be done with a one item menu. I was thinking of also adding the possibility of providing an image to ez.msgBox, but probably the 1-item menu approach is more flexible because it allows for a caption.

• You could also add just an image to your mez screen.like this. But it has to be on a sd card.

M5.Lcd.drawJpgFile(SD, "/c50x50_light_icon_off.jpg",20, 75, 50, 50);

Below is my experiment to make my own dynamic slider to get familiar with the arduino ide and m5ez
    The end goal is to read the value from mqtt and set the slider to the known value of the dimmer and set it

int bar_position = 25 ; // START POSTITION ( TO DO : READ THIS VALUE FROM MQTT AND SET IT )

Drop the line above in top of the m5ez to set the start position of the bar. Paste the below code in de the m5ez demo add to the main menu.

void menu_brightness_slider(){

int Bar_step_amount = 10;  // bar is devided in XX steps ( for on/of set to 1 )
      int Bar_lenght = 275; // Length of the slider bar
      int Bar_height = 28;  // Height of the slider bar
      int Bar_steps = Bar_lenght / Bar_step_amount;

int Top_hLine_Start_X = 22; // X postion on screen from the left side
      int Top_hLine_Start_Y = 150; // Y-postition on screen from the top
      int Top_hLine_End_X = Bar_lenght + Top_hLine_Start_X ; // X End line postion on screen from the left side
      int Top_hLine_End_Y = Top_hLine_Start_Y;

int Bot_hLine_Start_X = Top_hLine_Start_X;
      int Bot_hLine_Start_Y = Top_hLine_Start_Y + Bar_height ;
      int Bot_hLine_End_X = Top_hLine_Start_X + Bar_lenght ; 
      int Bot_hLine_End_Y = Bar_height + Top_hLine_End_Y ;

int Start_Point = Top_hLine_Start_X;
      int End_Point = Top_hLine_Start_X + Bar_lenght;
      int But_Radius = 10; // size of the slider indicator 

int mid_button = Top_hLine_Start_Y + ( Bar_height/2 );
      int bar_start_position = Top_hLine_Start_X + ( But_Radius ) ;
      int bar_end_position = Top_hLine_End_X - ( But_Radius ) ;

ezProgressBar bl ("Keukenlamp dimmer", " brightness " , "left# #ok#up#right# ");
          while (true) {
                String b = ez.buttons.poll();

//Draw lamp images and load them from sd root
                  M5.Lcd.drawJpgFile(SD, "/c50x50_light_icon_off.jpg",20, 75, 50, 50);
                  M5.Lcd.drawJpgFile(SD, "/c50x50_light_icon_on.jpg",255, 77, 50, 50);

// conversion to 0 -- 100 to set dimmer
                  int dimmer_value = (( bar_position / Bar_steps ) * 10 );
                  Serial.println( dimmer_value );        

// slider indicator draw
                  M5.Lcd.fillCircle((  bar_position ) , mid_button, But_Radius, 0xffff); // draw a white dot based on the _bar_y value
                  M5.Lcd.fillCircle(( bar_position - Bar_steps ), mid_button, But_Radius, 0x0000); // draw a blck dot based on the _bar_y value
                  M5.Lcd.fillCircle(( bar_position + Bar_steps ) , mid_button, But_Radius, 0x0000); // draw a blck dot based on the _bar_y value

// Draw the rectangle for the slider
                  M5.Lcd.drawLine(Top_hLine_Start_X, Top_hLine_Start_Y, Top_hLine_End_X, Top_hLine_End_Y, 0xffff); //Draw a line from the point X0 and Y0 to the point X1 and Y1 with a color from 0 to 65535
                  //M5.Lcd.drawLine((Top_hLine_Start_X - 1), (Top_hLine_Start_Y  + 2), Top_hLine_End_X - 1 , Top_hLine_End_Y + 2 , 0x0ff0); //shade line 
                  M5.Lcd.drawLine(Bot_hLine_Start_X, Bot_hLine_Start_Y, Bot_hLine_End_X, Bot_hLine_End_Y, 0xffff); //Draw a second hor line and draw 2 vertical lines between them in the next two lines of code
                  M5.Lcd.drawLine(Top_hLine_Start_X, Top_hLine_Start_Y, Bot_hLine_Start_X, Bot_hLine_Start_Y, 0xffff); //Left vert drawn line based on top and bot line
                  M5.Lcd.drawLine(Top_hLine_End_X, Top_hLine_Start_Y, Bot_hLine_End_X, Bot_hLine_End_Y, 0xffff);//Right vert drawn line based on top and bot line

/////////////////// Steps right
                 if (b == "right" && bar_position <= Bar_lenght ){
                    ( bar_position += Bar_steps );
                    Serial.println ( bar_position );
                                  }

////////////////// Steps left

if (b == "left" && bar_position > Bar_steps) {
                    bar_position -= ( Bar_steps );
                  Serial.println ( bar_position );
                                  }

if (b == "on") {
                  bar_position = Bar_lenght + 25 ;
                  }
                  if (b == "off"){ bar_position = Top_hLine_Start_X  ;
                  }
                  if (b == "ok") break;  // Jump out of loop and goto part that posts values to mqtt

if (b == "up") loop();  // Jump out of loop and goto main menu 
    // Ok was pressed, and now we calculate the dimmer value, prepare the payload and send it
    dimmer_value = (( bar_position / Bar_steps ) * 10 ); 

// Prepare a JSON payload string
      String payload = "";
      payload += "{";
      payload += "\"command\": \"switchlight\", \"idx\": 143, \"switchcmd\": \"Set Level\", \"level\":";
      payload += dimmer_value;
      payload += "}";

// Send payload
      char attributes[100];
      payload.toCharArray( attributes, 100 );
      client.publish( "domoticz/in", attributes );
      Serial.println( attributes );
      menu_brightness_slider();// Loop and restart slider
    }

Not as dynamic as i wished, but its a start and with some parameter adjustments the slider bar can be converted to any size and even one that looks like a on and off switch, with only 2 positions.
    Why not just draw a rectangle instead of 4 lines ? Well the lines could be replaced by bitmaps, so the slider button will run between bitmaps instead of over ( stacked bitmaps give me a kind of interlaced images and looks odd )

in this example i convert the slider bar to a scale of 0 - 100 and post in to my domoticz setup thru mqtt ( json formated )
    The mqtt part of the code is missing, but thats nothing more than adding the library in the arduino ide and set the parameters.
    Next step will be separate the mqtt part and run that on a different core, so connection won't stall over time.