Result: ESP-IDF v4.3-dev*

3. Install M5Stack
      Input: %git clone --recursive https://github.com/m5stack/M5Stack-IDF.git

4. Input: %make menuconfig
      Switch on "Autostart Arduino setup and loop on boot"

5. Compile
      Input: %make flash monitor

6. Get errors:
      a.) /Users/<name>/esp/M5Stack-IDF/components/arduino/cores/esp32/libb64/cencode.c:
      In function 'base64_encode_block':
      /Users/<name>/esp/M5Stack-IDF/components/arduino/cores/esp32/libb64/cencode.c:49:20:
      warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit-fallthrough=]
      result = (fragment & 0x003) << 4;
      ~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      /Users/<name>/esp/M5Stack-IDF/components/arduino/cores/esp32/libb64/cencode.c:52:9:
      note: here
      case step_B:

Workaround: Insert "__attribute__ ((fallthrough));"

b.) /Users/<name>/M5Stack-IDF/components/arduino/cores/esp32/esp32-hal-gpio.c:86:24: error:
      'rtc_gpio_desc' undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean 'rtc_io_desc'?
      uint32_t rtc_reg = rtc_gpio_desc[pin].reg;
      _________________ ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
      __________________rtc_io_desc
      /Users/<name>/esp/M5Stack-IDF/components/arduino/cores/esp32/esp32-hal-gpio.c:86:24: note:
      each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
      make[1]: *** [cores/esp32/esp32-hal-gpio.o] Error 1

Workaround: No workaround known yet

Can anyone help me?

• Hi @sheepDog

I get the same errors. I am afraid that M5Stack-IDF is too old (updated 2 years ago) to work with the latest esp-idf. For one thing Espressif has since moved on to use CMake & python scrips to build instead of just make. (I am not that familiar with either, but I think they don't play well mixed together.)

Just curious. What is it that makes you want to use the idf instead of an Arduino environment?

Thanks
    Felix

• Hello @felmue,

thank you for your interesting informations.

The two main reasons why I use IDF are:

• I am developing a large project and so I need an IDE that can handle such a project clearly. For example, it becomes quite confusing when you have more than 20 files.

• I wanted to be very close to the examples of expressif, because in past I got some unpleasant mistakes in some libraries.

• hey @sheepDog, take a look at the following repo: M5Stack-IDF-4.0, maybe it can be of use to setup a IDF 4.0 environment as you'd like

• Hi @brus,

thank you for providing your repro. In the meantime I've put together my own version and I'm waiting for the official version of m5stack.