My M5 Stack Fire is Dead or Bricked somehow

• I've got a 1 month old (to me) M5 Stack Fire. To date, I have only used it to run the firmware it came with, I haven't had a chance to start developing on it yet.

It had been charged and used for a couple of weeks on and off, showing it to people. I left it for a week, and now it's not doing anything. It won't power up, it won't respond to any button presses.

If I place it on the magnetic charging cradle the red charging light starts flashing, and later on it will stop again (Presumably battery full). Beyond that, no response.

Is there another way to reset the unit? Is it dead? It seems there are problems with voltage regulation on some units? Is that likely here as well, given that it did work for a couple of weeks before stopping?

Thanks in advance...

• How does it behave when you connect it to the USB port and then to the computer !
    If the computer finds the M5Stick Fire, can you install software !?
    Would be interesting if you could tell if this works !

Greeting skink

• This post is deleted!

• @skink No response from Linux (Ubuntu) computer when connected.

Update: I just tried plugging it into my Windows computer at work, and the computer recognized the plug-in and installed the CP210 USB-UART driver. Now I have a COM5. Still no display activity on the device or response to buttons.

• @ekalfwons
    Can you reflash the firmware with M5Burner? (on the Windows pc)

• Okay, it seems i've been able to resurrect it. The Arduino IDE was able to see it and i've successfully written some of the Example code to it. and it's running again.

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the original code that was on it, that had a game (Rock, paper scissors), WiFi scanner, and a Demo loop?

• @mmroos M5 Burner doesn't show anything marked M5 Stack Fire. What do I burn? And will it have the demo code in it?

• @ekalfwons First you need to erase the firmware using the erase button and then you burn 1.4.3 Stack EN (there is a drop down list to select between stick and stackEn)

• @ajb2k3 Thanks, I figured out I should use the UFlow 1.4.3. With that burned, I am back to how the Fire was when I bought it. Thanks for the help everyone!

Now I just need to figure out how to add programs to the list of programs when it starts. How can I add other demos or programs to that list?

• @ekalfwons In the setting menu is a download button, this permanently stores it on the M5Stack and is accessible from the menu.

• @ajb2k3 I can't find a Settings menu in the Arduino IDE... The Settings in M5Burner just shows the version of M5Burner. Where is this settings menu?

• @ekalfwonS ,

this is only possible inUIFlow not in the Arduino software, in UIFlow you see Project in the upper left corner, on the right side you can assign a name for your program. Then go to the far right and select Download by clicking on the last icon. This will save your program as you named it on the M5Stack Fire.

skink

• @ekalfwons said in My M5 Stack Fire is Dead or Bricked somehow:

@ajb2k3 I can't find a Settings menu in the Arduino IDE... The Settings in M5Burner just shows the version of M5Burner. Where is this settings menu?

the setting are in uiflow not m5burner. sorry.

• Ah, found it now. Thanks everyone!

I don't suppose there's a way to bring one of the examples from the Arduino IDE into UIFlow so I could install it alongside the other apps...

• @ekalfwons said in My M5 Stack Fire is Dead or Bricked somehow:

Ah, found it now. Thanks everyone!

I don't suppose there's a way to bring one of the examples from the Arduino IDE into UIFlow so I could install it alongside the other apps...

Nope, Arduino uses a variant of C, UIFlow uses Micropython.

• I have a Core2. Mine was bricked - USB sounded when disconnecting in Windows 10. Only got it brand new yesterday and was using UIFlow, tried everything. In Arduino it could send to COM4 but then still black screen, still no reset. Then someone above said use M5Burner. Eventually reflashed the Core2FactoryTest app and wahey - green light and a beep and now everything works again. I'm adding this comment as I'm a techie for 35 years and if I run into problems like this I'm sure others will with less success.

• @ps-oz I'm having the same problem here except when I plug in to my MacBook Pro via USB-C the device and port are no longer listed in UIFlow or M5Burner.

• @nerdmeeting Have you installed the updated Ch340 drivers