M5Core2 library fork that supports multi-touch and provides Arduino-style virtual buttons [update: and gestures and events] [update2: MERGED !]

• Hi @Rop

I am trying to dynamically create (and delete) a button, but I get a crash when the button is about to be deleted. (When I use a static button it works.)

The code creates a MsgBox and upon pressing button B a new empty screen with a fullscreen button is opened and when I touch it I get the crash.

Guru Meditation Error: Core 1 panic'ed (InstrFetchProhibited). Exception was unhandled.

I am sure I am overlooking something so if you have a minute I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks
    Felix

#include <M5ez.h>

#define STATIC_BUTTON

void buttonCallback(Event& e);

bool page_done = false;

#ifdef STATIC_BUTTON
    Button button1(0, 0, 320, 240, false ,"button1");

void showPage() {
      button1.addHandler(buttonCallback, E_TOUCH + E_BTNONLY);
      page_done = false;
      while(page_done == false) {
        M5.Touch.update();
      }
      button1.delHandlers(buttonCallback);
    }

#else

Button *button1 = NULL;

void showPage() {
      button1 = new Button(0, 0, 320, 240, false, "button1");
      button1->addHandler(buttonCallback, E_TOUCH + E_BTNONLY);
      page_done = false;
      while(page_done == false) {
        M5.Touch.update();
      }
      button1->delHandlers(buttonCallback);
      delete(button1);
    }
    #endif

void buttonCallback(Event& e) {
      page_done = true;
    }

void setup() {
      ez.begin();
    }

void loop() {
      ez.msgBox("M5ez button test", "Button test !", "showPage");
      showPage();
    }

• I've worked extensively on the events system, so that there is now only one event per call to M5.update(). That means you can now also check for events in loops, no need for handler functions if you don't want them. Get the new library and try this:

#include <M5Core2.h>

ButtonColors on = {RED, WHITE, WHITE};
    ButtonColors off = {BLACK, WHITE, WHITE};

void setup() {
      M5.begin();
      while (true) {
        screen1();
        screen2();
      }
    }

// Never comes here
    void loop() {
    	M5.update();
    }

void screen1() {
      M5.Lcd.clearDisplay(YELLOW);
      Button tl(5, 5, 150, 110, false ,"top-left", off, on, TL_DATUM);
      while (true) {
        M5.update();
        if (tl.isPressed()) return;
      }
    }

void screen2() {
      M5.Lcd.clearDisplay(BLUE);
      Button tr(165, 5, 150, 110, false, "top-right", off, on, TR_DATUM);
      while (true) {
        M5.update();
        if (tr.event.type == E_DBLTAP) return;
      }
    }

As you can see you don't need to orry about manually deleting the buttons, they go away as the function ends. But you cannot call one function from the other, because that leaves the variables in existence. Then you'd have to 'new' and 'delete' them indeed.

• Hello @Rop

Thank you for the update. Unfortunately no luck for me. When I run your code with the latest M5Core2 from your visual branch I get a crash as soon as the code tries to instantiate the button in screen1() function.

When I declare the buttons globally the code works, but as you mentioned they don't go away.

I wonder if the button object is too large to be declared in a function?

Thanks
    Felix

• Hi @Rop

Update2: I've created a pull-request with below fixes for your convenience.

https://github.com/ropg/M5Core2/pull/2

I have found the reason for the crash: drawFn is not NULL, yet not set correctly which causes the crash when calling drawFn(this, bc) on line 212.

void Button::draw(ButtonColors bc) {
      // use locally set draw function if aplicable, global one otherwise
      if (drawFn) {
        drawFn(this, bc);

I've fixed it by modifying two lines (137, 157) in M5Button.h and initialising drawFn with nullptr.

void (*drawFn)(Button* b, ButtonColors bc) = nullptr;

Update: Just found another crash when using new and delete. Fixed by setting _freeFont to nullptr (lines 108 and 125).

const GFXfont* _freeFont = nullptr;

Thanks
    Felix

• @felmue Thanks! I fixed it but in the cpp and not in the .h. I prefer to not have too much in the header files.

The version that's online now (I merged 'visual' into master on my repo) has fixes. Also there's now a copy of the original M5Stack library on my Github as well, it has the identical M5Button library file with Buttons and Events. Allows you to compile

#include <M5Stack.h>

void setup() {
      M5.begin();
      M5.BtnA.setLabel("Test");
      M5.BtnB.setLabel("Wow !");
      M5.BtnC.setLabel("Amazing !");
      M5.BtnA.off = M5.BtnB.off = M5.BtnC.off = {BLUE, WHITE, NODRAW};
      M5.BtnA.on = M5.BtnB.on = M5.BtnC.on = {RED, WHITE, NODRAW};
      M5.Events.addHandler(eventDisplay);
      M5.Buttons.draw();
    }

void loop() {
      M5.update();
    }

void eventDisplay(Event& e) {
      Serial.printf("\n%-12s %-18s", e.typeName(), e.objName());
      if (e.type == E_RELEASE || e.type == E_PRESSED) Serial.printf("%5d ms", e.duration);
    }

(I'll post this wider after a bit more testing and documenting.)

• Hi @Rop

playing with your latest code. Cool stuff.

You probably might want to remove or comment the Serial.println() in below function.

bool Button::pressedFor(uint32_t ms) {
    	Serial.println(_time);
    	return (_state && _time - _lastChange >= ms);
    }

Cheers
    Felix

• @felmue Removed that line.

I just updated my M5Stack classic version of the library. Buttons have a few new features, such as myButton.cancel() which stops any further high-level event processing for that button, only E_RELEASE will be sent after that. It's used internally for gestures, but you can also use it for something like this:

#include <M5Stack.h>

// Shortcuts: the & means it's a reference to the same object
    Button& A = M5.BtnA;
    Button& B = M5.BtnB;
    Button& C = M5.BtnC;

// New buttons, not tied to hardware pins, so off until set with setState()
    Button AB = Button(55, 193, 102, 21, true, "BtnAB");
    Button BC = Button(161, 193, 102, 21, true, "BtnBC");

void setup() {
      M5.begin();
      A.off = B.off = C.off = AB.off = BC.off = {BLUE, WHITE, NODRAW};
      A.on  = B.on  = C.on  = AB.on  = BC.on  = {RED,  WHITE, NODRAW};
      C.tapTime = 0;
      B.longPressTime = 700;
      M5.Events.addHandler(eventDisplay, E_ALL - E_TOUCH - E_RELEASE);
      M5.Events.addHandler(buttonDown, E_TOUCH);
      M5.Events.addHandler(buttonUp, E_RELEASE);
      M5.Buttons.draw();
    }

void loop() {
      M5.update();
    }

void buttonDown(Event& e) {
        if (A && B) {
            A.cancel();
            B.cancel();
            AB.setState(true);
        }
        if (B && C) {
            B.cancel();
            C.cancel();
            BC.setState(true);
        }
    }

void buttonUp(Event& e) {
        if (!(A && B)) AB.setState(false);
        if (!(B && C)) BC.setState(false);
    }

void eventDisplay(Event& e) {
      Serial.printf("\n%-14s %-18s", e.typeName(), e.objName());
      if (e.type == E_RELEASE || e.type == E_PRESSED) Serial.printf("%5d ms", e.duration);
    }

These two M5ez-like combi-buttons now behave like real buttons, with doubleclick and all. The event viewer in this example does not present the - noisy - E_TOUCH and E_RELEASE events but all the others. As you can see one button has no taps, another fires a longpress event after 700 ms. Also if (myButton.isPressed() ... can now be shortened to if (myButton) ...

Things have become cleaner and simpler on the inside, and there is now only one state-machine for touch and regular buttons. Will update the Core2 version later or tomorrow.

• New version is up.

Changes:

• Introduced M5.background, the button object that is underneath all others and gets the events if nobody else does. So all events now have a button attached. E_BTNONLY pseudo-event removed.

• Various state-machine tweaks.

• Added keywords.txt for Arduino syntax highlighting.

• Internally cleaner, some functionality moved from M5Touch to M5Buttons.

• Added M5.Touch.dump() to see FT6336 registers.

• M5.begin() now shows touch: FT6336 ready (fw id 0x10 rel 1, lib 0x300E) as one of the lines.

• M5.Touch.stale is the location of the last past touch that is kept in memory of the FT6336. Can be used in light sleeping: only wake the ESP32 up two times a second and still see if someone touched.

• This post is deleted!

• I just pushed a new version that handles two fingers on same button (background is a button) properly.

With that version, try this (it will be an example later) to nicely visualise what the sensor sees.

#include <M5Core2.h>

const int r = 50;

void setup() {
      M5.begin();
      M5.Events.addHandler(moveEvent, E_MOVE);
      M5.Events.addHandler(touchEvent, E_TOUCH);
      M5.Events.addHandler(releaseEvent, E_RELEASE);
    }

void loop() {
      M5.update();
    }

void moveEvent(Event &e) {
      M5.Lcd.drawCircle(e.from.x, e.from.y, r, BLACK);
      M5.Lcd.drawCircle(e.to.x, e.to.y, r, e.finger ? BLUE : RED);
    }

void touchEvent(Event &e) {
      M5.Lcd.drawCircle(e.to.x, e.to.y, r, e.finger ? BLUE : RED);
    }

void releaseEvent(Event &e) {
      M5.Lcd.drawCircle(e.to.x, e.to.y, r, BLACK);
    }

• Or, even shorter (and with slightly thicker and better visible circles):

#include <M5Core2.h>

const int r = 50;

void setup() {
      M5.begin();
      M5.Lcd.fillScreen(WHITE);
    }

void loop() {
      M5.update();
      Event& e = M5.background.event;
      if (e & (E_MOVE | E_RELEASE)) circle(e & E_MOVE ? e.from : e.to, WHITE);
      if (e & (E_TOUCH | E_MOVE)) circle(e.to, e.finger ? BLUE : RED);
    }

void circle(Point p, uint16_t c) {
      M5.Lcd.drawCircle(p.x, p.y, r, c);
      M5.Lcd.drawCircle(p.x, p.y, r + 2, c);
    }

• New version is up. You can now make gestures that have only directions. So that whole bit in the first part of the example is now:

// Defines gestures
    Gesture swipeRight("swipe right", 160, RIGHT, 30, true);
    Gesture swipeDown("swipe down", 120, DOWN, 30, true);
    Gesture swipeLeft("swipe left", 160, LEFT, 30, true);
    Gesture swipeUp("swipe up", 120, UP, 30, true);

• The first number is the minimum distance, the RIGHT, LEFT, etc are just #defines for compass directions, the 30 thereafter is 'plus or minus 30 degrees'. The Gesture definitions have the same rot1 flag (the true at the end above) to denote that the direction is relative to the screen in rotation 1. You can still specify two zones for start and finish before the name of the gesture. If you want to specify just one, say ANYWHERE for the other. This direction stuff works because support for it is now in the underlying Point class. You can also say pointA.directionTo(PointB) or if (PointA.isDirectionTo(PointB, 0, 15)) ... to see if it's due north plus or minus 15 deg. Event has the same functions without the To because it has a start and end point in there already. So if you can want to see if a key was dragged upwards you just put something like that in the E_DRAGGED handler.

• Key repeat with myButton.repeatDelay and repeatInterval, gives repeated E_PRESSING events.

• The Events object is gone and its (few) functions are now functions of Buttons. Last time I move stuff around like that, I swear.

• All my code is now formatted (with clang-format) for easier reading and reworked to be maximally understandable. Will work in some more documentation on how I did things, esp. rotation and other tricky bits. (The .clang-format config file is in the root, see the comment in there for usage. I chose Google's style guide with a few minor tweaks, because that was closest to what the rest of the library was doing already anyway.)

• I expect to be submitting a Pull Request sometime in the next few days after I finish with the documentation.

• I'd be very happy with any test reports.

• Rop, M5Button.cpp, line 176 is:

Serial.println(_time);

...making it hard to catch any of my own debug output.
    It would be much easier to open issues if you enabled Issues on https://github.com/ropg/M5Core2/tree/visual.

• @vkichline Ooops, further up I had said:

The version that's online now (I merged 'visual' into master on my repo) has fixes

but I did not delete the 'visual' branch. My bad. Use the master branch. Much nicer. Some changes, you'll see in the example. (gestures now have directions as well as start and end zones, all optional.)

Will enable issues also...

• This won't compile for me, it conflicts with another library I need and admire: ezTime.
    I get this over and over again:

C:/users/van/.platformio/lib/M5Core2/src/utility/M5Button.h:379:14: error: expected identifier before numeric constant
     #define NONE 0x0120  // Special color value: transparent
                  ^
    C:/users/van/.platformio/lib/ezTime/src/ezTime.h:69:2: note: in expansion of macro 'NONE'
      NONE, 
      ^

If this specific case is fixed, it's likely to cause conflicts elsewhere. Maybe name spacing could be used to make a macro as general as NONE more compatible.

• Rop, I've opened issues on your fork, and will continue to do so as I work through the library.
    I wrote a goal-based UI evaluation tool for Touch and posted it here: https://github.com/vkichline/TouchGoal . Please give it a try!
    It asks you to accomplish 16 Touch tasks in random order and keeps score, telling you what you missed at the end. You have up to 8 seconds for each task, but they end as soon as you successfully complete them, so it's pretty fast.
    I had written some tools to spew event names, but didn't get a feel for how Touch worked in real life; this test tool provides that feedback.

I expected to have issues with gestures based on my serial spewing tests, but they seem quite solid. However, I usually fail to get all the double taps. Does double-tapping work better for you?
    Age and fast-twitch motor neurons have a lot of sway over double-click success, it may be a bit too hot for me. Can the delay be adjusted?
    If you can breeze through this test w/o failures, that would tell you the UI is doing what you expect it to do.

• @vkichline Thanks!! Shouldn't have used NONE, neither here nor in ezTime. Its now NODRAW (again) in this library. i like TouchGoal. Fixed all the issues, I think. The documentation has been completely overhauled.

• @vkichline In fact, shall we include TouchGoal as an example with the M5Core2 library?

• You're welcome to include it! Some additional tests for what shouldn't happen and a few comments about the best way to detect things would make it more valuable.
    It's always nice to have a comprehensive suite to walk through after making 'improvements'. I could see TouchGoal being useful for testing subclasses of buttons, zones, etc.
    When you think about it being used for testing subclasses, are there any additions you can think of? It's mostly positive testing now, few negative checks. (For example, you should not get this event before that event in this case...)

• Tried your changes and I can successfully double-tap every time now. Excellent!
    I will add long presses to TouchGoal as soon as I figure them out. But today's my anniversary, so until later!