What are you using for "real" rs232?

• I was really excited about the new rs232 Atom kit, but unfortunately it requires 12V to power it, which it converts to 5V to power the Atom. I can see how that could be cool if you had full serial and could use one of the control lines. But I only have the minimum 3: Tx, Rx, Gnd.

So what are folks using to talk to "real" (full 12V) serial devices? I have some max232 chips laying around, but they're 5v, and the ESP32 spec sheet shows a max of 3.6 for pin input. I may have a level shifter somewhere, but that seems like overkill.
    I guess I could get a 3.3V max232, but I'm kind of surprised that there's no ENV or HAT for this.

• I'm not patient. :) I broke down and bought this, although I don't know what I'll do with the other 4 units.

• M5Stack

actually. you could use 5V to supply. connect the 5V to Grove Port or connect the usb cable.

the 12V->5V purpose is to satisfy most industrial scenes. if you don't have 12v supply. you could just use 5V.

• I guess I misunderstood what support said: "If you are connecting through 3.96 terminal, 12V DC is required" seemed to say that I needed 12V to use the serial pins.

• Banned

Most people simply called it a serial connection. At one time, it was the most used form of data transmission. You will probably recognize the standard 9 pin DB9 cable. Simply put, a RS232 connection transmits signals using a positive voltage for a binary 0 and a negative voltage for a binary 1.

• M5Stack

I was able to get the serial output of a cisco switch using the M5 Atom rs232 kit, but for some reason it always crashes at the same point regardless of when I start the terminal session after turning on the switch. Still trying to debug this as I hope to make a video on it soon

• Banned

This post is deleted!