Problems with the GPS-Module

• Hello everybody,

I try to use the GPS module with my M5CORE Gray.

I tried the example for the GPS module, but it didn't seem to receive any satellites. I have also put the device outside for a long time, but still no signal.
    The only thing that works is the time.
    I use the external antenna.
    Here is the output from the GPS module.

*$GNRMC,153551.00,V,,,,,,,190220,,,N*6D
    $GNVTG,,,,,,,,,N*2E
    $GNGGA,153551.00,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*7E
    $GNGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*2E
    $GNGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*2E
    $GPGSV,1,1,00*79
    $GLGSV,1,1,00*65
    $GNGLL,,,,,153551.00,V,N*52*

Does anyone of you have an idea?

Thank you very much and best regards
    Simon

• Signal from external antenna will be much stronger than PCB antenna

• I found out what was wrong.
    The external antennas from my two GPS modules were both broken.
    After a long time, the module found satellites with the internal antenna.

• I suggest you to use internal antenna because it's portable and not easily damaged.

• Worth noting just in case others don't notice this:

1. The internal antenna is connected by default.
    2. To use the external antenna, you'll have to unplug the internal and plug in the external antenna cable.
    3. Getting an initial fix from the internal antenna will take alot longer than plugging in the external antenna.
    4. Once you've got a fix with the external antenna, the internal antenna will pick up quicker the next time you try it.
    5. As long as you power up the GPS once in a while and let it get an updated fix, the internal antenna should keep connecting reliably. The external antenna wlll be faster, but the internal should be good enough.

• And if you try to use the gps-module with the M5GO/FIRE battery module it won't work Therefore you have to remove the M5GO/FIRE battery module to get gps data form the gps-module. But the gps-unit works well.
    I think there may be a conflict with the uart of the gps-module and the M5GO/FIRE battery module?

• @gaviota said in Problems with the GPS-Module:

And if you try to use the gps-module with the M5GO/FIRE battery module it won't work Therefore you have to remove the M5GO/FIRE battery module to get gps data form the gps-module. But the gps-unit works well.
    I think there may be a conflict with the uart of the gps-module and the M5GO/FIRE battery module?

Dear Gaviota, I am glad to hear that the GPS UNIT (not GPS MODULE) worked well. I just want to confirm since I failed to make the UNIT worked. I used Fire with the battery base connected and the UNIT was connected to the UART Port C. The programming language was UiFlow. Could you explain more on this issue, how we can make the GPS Unit work properly?

http://community.m5stack.com/topic/1798/issue-with-port-c-uart-of-m5stack-fire-finger-unit-ok-but-gps-no-good

• Hi the solution is Turning of the PSRAM in tools in the arduino IDE.
    Also you need to go outside for signal.
    If you have "no gps connection" try to switch the tx and rx pin in the ss.begin()