Cardputer COM Not Working

• @hanktttop OK. I'm wading into this discussion without having a Cardputer!
    My other ESP32-S3 and M5Stack Atom S3 and several StampS3s all work very well in my Arduino IDE environment. I also have a bunch of S3 products from a manufacturer whose name cannot be said. (coughs into hand...T-Display S3).
    So I am familiar with this S3 series on a M1 iMac.
    My iMac has two Thunderbolt ports and two USB ports. I used the USB ports just fine for M5Stack-pre-S3-models, but the S3 models wont even power up on USB, they need the Thunderbolt outputs.
    So, get to the point, teastain.
    Connection is VERY fussy and unpredictable with S3.
    All of the M5Stack S3 products that I have seen have both of the necessary buttons available. The Cardputer even has them at the front(!) no need to remove the S3 or peel back the sticker on Cardputer. (in fact DO NOT remove the S3 with Cardputer!)
    The GO button is actually GPIO 0 and is called 'boot'.
    The 'rst' button is otherwise called 'EN' which cuts power to the core when pushed and resets when released.
    Method 1 unplug the Cardputer from the USB, press and hold G0 (on the left side of the Cardputer, plug back in and release G0.
    Method 2 while plugged in press and hold G0, press 'rst' on the right side, release 'rst', then release G0.
    In both cases if your sketch does not boot up and run, it is recommended to unplug it and plug it back in to boot.

• Hi @teastain Thanks for clarifying the buttons.

I tried both methods, neither worked. As @ajb2k3 said in his other post, maybe S3 was blocked. The curious thing is that I'm having the problem without even being able to install the firmware. I tried to burn it minutes after receiving the device via AliExpress, I didn't complete a single firmware change.

That's why I suspect the drivers more than the device. I reinstalled all of them again, also tried on another Linux (Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS), no results so far.

• @hanktttop Do you have any other Arduino or ESP32 that will work with your computer?
    Do you only have linux machines?
    This is probably not an M5Stack issue, maybe reach out to the linux community for installing Python drivers.
    Also Adam's point Nemo is based on Flipper/Marauder !
    The bootloader is indestructible and still present, buried safely deep in ROM.
    When you received your Cardputer did it power up and run the Demo?
    What does it do on power up now, today.

• @teastain I have a Windows 11 and a Linux machine with Ubuntu (a few days ago I tested using Fedora). Cardputer works with the demo. It's the firmware it arrived with and the same one that runs normally when I turn it on currently.

I have some arduinos, Uno, Nano, Lilypad, a LoRa module, all these devices are working normally, they are recognized without problems. Right now I'm using a multimeter to check if any S3 pins have problems (I'm not that experienced with hardware), but they all seem ok. I even think that even the demo wouldn't work if there were problems with them.

• I only have windows 7 (yeh old) but it would appear that the issue is how windows is handling the Chinese drivers ie, if the driver wasn't made by Microsoft, windows is trying to block the driver.

• @hanktttop can you help me ? mycardputer not turning on

• @twinturbo said in Cardputer COM Not Working:

@hanktttop can you help me ? mycardputer not turning on

Have you charge it and tried the power switch?

• @twinturbo I did'nt solved the problem yet, and I'm pretty novice with it, but explain what's your problem and maybe someone else can help.

• Boa noite, colegas!

Eu acredito ter resolvido esse problema, tente fazer da seguinte maneira:

1 - Com o cabo conectado ao Cardputer clique para fazer o Download de qualquer aplicação;

2 - Quando estiver executando aperte ao mesmo tempo o "BtnGo" e o "BtnRst", com isso irá aparecer outra mensagem de erro informando que o dispositivo foi desconectado;

3 - Em seguida tente novamente fazer o Download de qualquer aplicação para efeito de teste e o Cardputer vai funcionar normalmente.

Esse foi o que eu fiz e deu certo, tente fazer dessa maneira e verifique o que dá... Espero que funcione para você. TKS

• @ariel-jorge @ariel-jorge Hi Ariel! Thanks for the comment.

It didn't work in my scenario. My problem is that the cardputer possibly came with a factory defect. It is not recognized on any machine, whether Windows or Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Pop_OS!) , even with the appropriate drivers installed. This way he can't "lose" a connection he couldn't initiate. I thought it was being recognized by the Arduino IDE, but apparently what appeared in COM5 was my usb hub.

I've been trying to contact the seller since the end of January.

alt text

At this point, perhaps you guys understand my frustration. Most likely this seller is not the official one and I probably was scammed.

• @hanktttop said in Cardputer COM Not Working:

@ariel-jorge @ariel-jorge Hi Ariel! Thanks for the comment.

It didn't work in my scenario. My problem is that the cardputer possibly came with a factory defect. It is not recognized on any machine, whether Windows or Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Pop_OS!) , even with the appropriate drivers installed. This way he can't "lose" a connection he couldn't initiate. I thought it was being recognized by the Arduino IDE, but apparently what appeared in COM5 was my usb hub.

I've been trying to contact the seller since the end of January.

alt text

At this point, perhaps you guys understand my frustration. Most likely this seller is not the official one and I probably was scammed.

were are you located? which country? from your posts I can see that it was ok initially then you "lost connection" after downloading nemo firmware correct?

• @robski I'm from Brazil. The device apparently arrived OK, working with the demo firmware without any problems. On the same day, I tried installing other firmwares, but I couldn't connect with any of them. I wouldn't say nemo was the cause, because it wasn't installed. In fact, the Cardputer continues to work with the demo firmware as it arrived, but I can't connect it. I've already tested it on three machines, Windows and Linux. From what I understand from the suggestions, it doesn't even enter bootloader mode.

• @hanktttop said in Cardputer COM Not Working:

@robski I'm from Brazil. The device apparently arrived OK, working with the demo firmware without any problems. On the same day, I tried installing other firmwares, but I couldn't connect with any of them. I wouldn't say nemo was the cause, because it wasn't installed. In fact, the Cardputer continues to work with the demo firmware as it arrived, but I can't connect it. I've already tested it on three machines, Windows and Linux. From what I understand from the suggestions, it doesn't even enter bootloader mode.

would love to help but im in UK,
    understand, sorry took that nemo was installed fine and you lost the way to connect to it understand now,
    just wonder if you tried to go to boot mode with StampS3 being out from cardputer base?

• You have tried holding the go button in and plugging in the usb cable?

The good thing about the cardputer is that it runs stock M5StampS3 so you can just very carefully replace the stamp.

Only buy direct From M5Stack or a reputable seller like Adafruit

• Hello guys

pressing and holding BtnG0 and plugging in USB only puts the M5StampS3 into download mode if the battery power switch is in OFF position.

With a charged battery and the battery power switch in ON position you'll need to hold BtnG0 and the press BtnRst to get M5StampS3 into download mode.

The reason is that for the M5StampS3 getting into download mode it needs to (re-)start while BtnG0 is held.

Thanks
    Felix

• @robski No problem, thank you for the help so far. Tried with the S3 disconnected, but no results.

@ajb2k3 Yes, tried that too. The closer to download mode I get is the Cardputer not autostarting when plugged. Maybe I'll need to get another. :(

@felmue Thanks for the comment, felmue! Already tried both ways. As commented above, if I start with the BtnGO pressed, the cardputer does no autostart, wich is progress. However, it doesnt start on download mode too. Both options and it still isnt recognized on the pc/notebook.

Just bought a multimeter, will start to look for damaged components on the board and the S3 pins. :/

• Have you tried a new data sync usb cable?

• @ajb2k3 Yes, tried 3 cables on different USB ports, with and without the USB hub I've mentioned.

• Well, the only think I can think of is to order a replacement stamp and swap it to see if the stamp has gone faulty.

Open M5Burner,
    Try taking the plastic cover of the stamp to reveal a button, power on press and hold that button while pressing reset, DO NOT release the button until 5seconds have passed after releasing reset. A blue box should appear in M5Burner giving a new port number

• @ajb2k3 Yup, tried that button too xD
    I'll with the multimeter if I can spot something wrong. If not, I will save some money for another Cardputer or something similar in the end of the year. I'm pretty sure that if I try to replace just the S3, I will mess with it. :(