Cardputer COM Not Working

• Hello guys

@ajb2k3 : hmm, I've just double-checked with my M5Cardputer following your video and the LED does not light up. Maybe it depends on what firmware it currently runs?

@HankTTTop : yes, that is normal behaviour - at least my M5Cardputer does that as well - it starts up as soon as USB is connected - even when off. (It is my understanding that the ON/OFF switch is for the battery only.)

BTW: have you tried a different USB cable?

Thanks
    Felix

• @felmue I tried different USB ports, but now that you mention it, it could be the problem. I'm using a USB-C that came from a portable console, which doesn't allow data transfer over this connection.

I'll see if I can get another one tomorrow when the local businesses are open. Thanks for the sugestion.

• New cable, same error. In fact, I just tested it on Fedora 39 (fresh installed), I still haven't been able to put the device in download mode. Maybe I'm forgetting a drive, which makes the device "recognize" the computer as a charger. Still, I reinstalled them all again, with no result.

• OK next step is to VERY Gently pull the Stamp form the card keyboard (the pins are tiny) then with it removed you need to open M5Burner (after a fresh reboot of the computer) hold the button down hidden under the label, connect a USB cable in and wait for the led to turn green. I'm just digging out my old windows computer to make a video.
    And M5Burner should report as a USB Modem.

• @hanktttop said in Cardputer COM Not Working:

New cable, same error. In fact, I just tested it on Fedora 39 (fresh installed), I still haven't been able to put the device in download mode. Maybe I'm forgetting a drive, which makes the device "recognize" the computer as a charger. Still, I reinstalled them all again, with no result.

I have M5Dial with StampS3 at the back...had to remove sticker to see and feel when "boot" button is pressed and hold before usb is plugged in - its almost hard to sense way different from pressing reset button where you can hear click.
    With my Dial when say com13 was unresponsive then going in to boot mode made com12 to be available so in short words diff com for programming and different for boot mode - thats my experience with StampS3 from my M5Dial - i had it few times in some unresponsive mode.

• @robski I tried my old computer but forgot windows was soo slow compared to a Mac so need to wait to pay day to buy a new windows mini pc.

• I also tried this button, here is another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlx79AmbrPk

I have tried all the solutions so far: Pressing the BTNGO key, pressing the button below the sticker, no sign of the LED or recognition on the machine, whether in M5 Burner or in the device manager. I'm trying to contact M5 Stack support to check the possibility of a hardware problem.

I also tried this button, here is another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlx79AmbrPk

I have tried all the solutions so far: Pressing the BTNGO key, pressing the button below the sticker, no sign of the LED or recognition on the machine, whether in M5 Burner or in the device manager. I'm trying to contact M5 Stack support to check the possibility of a hardware problem.

have you tried Uiflow2 web burner option with "boot press"? bottom left corner

(![0_1706622355894_uiflowburner.jpg](Uploading 100%) image url)

@hanktttop said in Cardputer COM Not Working:

I also tried this button, here is another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlx79AmbrPk

have you tried Uiflow2 web burner option with "boot press"? bottom left corner
    0_1706622416711_uiflowburner.jpg

• I didn't know about this application. I just tested it, but it doesn't connect either.

I didn't know about this application. I just tested it, but it doesn't connect either.

you said that com5 is showing and vanishing when you connect to usb,
    what com port is showing when you press and hold BTN Download Mode button and then connect usb? Is it com5 too or different com number?

• Only the same COM3 as before appears, but with the description "Paired". But you can't initiate communication. There are no other USB devices connected to the machine.

• Have you installed both the cdc and serial driver?

• @ajb2k3 Maybe not. Following the guide, I installed this FTDI driver. The page says that the Windows installer will install both the VCP and D2xx: https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

Have I been installing the wrong driver this whole time? facepalm

• @hanktttop Seeing that this is a "Flipper" type hacking tool...maybe it attacked you and is deauthering you.
    Features
    TV B-Gone port (thanks to MrArm's HAKRWATCH) to shut off many infrared-controlled TVs, projectors and other devices
    AppleJuice iOS Bluetooth device pairing spam
    Bluetooth device notification spamming for SwiftPair (Windows) and Android
    WiFi Spam - Funny SSIDs, WiFi Rickrolling, and a Random mode that creates hundreds of randomly-named SSIDs per minute
    WiFi NEMO Portal - A captive portal that tries to social engineer email credentials - saves usernames and passwords to SD Card (if inserted into a supported reader)
    WiFi SSID Scanner - Display 2.4 GHz SSIDs nearby, get information about them, and even clone the SSIDs in NEMO Portal

• @teastain Yes, it is. I work in information security, so I want to install it to do some tests, nothing to attack other people. I don't believe it attacked the device, at no point was the binary executed or installed on the cardputer yet. In fact, the project is open source and you can check it here: https://github.com/n0xa/m5stick-nemo/

• @hanktttop Hi! So it appears that Nemo is an Arduino IDE sketch that will need to be compiled, which will probably not be very fun.
    I see you having difficulty with UiFlow.
    Have you tried connecting with Arduino IDE ?
    I use 2.2.1 and it is very stable and useable with my three or four M5Stack S3 based boards, all other M5Stack products as well.
    I use a lot of StampS3s! Maybe I could help with the Arduino connection?
    -Terry

• @teastain Would be great, thanks! I'm using 2.2.1, sometimes I found a "Unknown COM3" device on it that may be the cardputer (not sure yet). I was looking for a way to burn the bin with the Arduino IDE, but if I can do this by the code itself, would be nice too xD

• After watching all the videos I was having similar issues. I ran the "hello world" screen demo through the Arduino IDE then I unplugged the machine and was stuck with the "hello world" demo. I then was unable to get the cardputer in "download mode" after trying to use the m5 burner several times. I'm on a m1 mac btw. Using a usb c <-> usb c cable. It was showing up as tty.usbmodem1101 but only when the device was turned on.

I was trying to recreate one of the videos by trying a bunch of different orders of plugging in the wire, combinations of "on and off", holding the "go" and holding the "reset" buttons on top the device.

I found that holding "go" would prevent auto-on when plugged in. When I did that and the pressed "reset" I think that did the trick.

So for me it was "hold go", plug in, spam "reset", try and burn...

@teastain Would be great, thanks! I'm using 2.2.1, sometimes I found a "Unknown COM3" device on it that may be the cardputer (not sure yet). I was looking for a way to burn the bin with the Arduino IDE, but if I can do this by the code itself, would be nice too xD

where are you from @HankTTTop ? UK by chance?

• I've just posted a message about the boot loader/port issues in the official update forum. please give it a read.