Error: Detected a whitespace character in project paths.

• So my first steps in setting up a project with M5Stack AWS on my Mac OSX Big Sur (11.6). Installation of visual studio seems okay. When compiling the AWS IoT EduKit Getting Started PlatformIO Configuration File I get this error message :
    Error: Detected a whitespace character in project paths.
    Been already googling around. Not sure about the solution. I have read that I need to change the director path in a ini file. But then I am lost. Any help? Thanks

• Hello @HappyUser

I think you'll need to change your project path to not contain spaces.

In the note under Step 1. Install prerequisites it reads: Keep in mind that ESP-IDF does not support spaces in paths.

Thanks
    Felix

• @felmue Yes thank you. I never realised that in one of my folder names I had used a white space (maybe I really need reading glasses). Now I am struggling to get my AWS blink setup and running. Will come back later with a detailed description of my challenge ;-)

• Ok I am confused, I'm getting the whitespace error but I can find no whitespaces anywhere! 0_1635427141841_Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 14.18.09.png

• Nevermind, I found the white space but can't do anything about it without killing my OSX install :(
    0_1635427332132_Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 14.21.33.png

• I don't see the whitespace character. Have you tried just moving the project folder to a different location?

• @rashedtalukder said in Error: Detected a whitespace character in project paths.:

I don't see the whitespace character. Have you tried just moving the project folder to a different location?
    The "White Space" is there in "Macintosh HD" managed to get my system to remove the space between Macintosh and HD and it works without my OSX crashing (OSX created the name Macintosh HD

• I don't know if "Macintosh HD" actually part of your path. Your path is actually /Users/adambryant/Documents/PlatformIO/Core2-for-AWS-IoT-EduKit from what I can tell. You could try using the command pwd to get your current path.

The other reason I wouldn't think that was the root cause is because my personal laptop, work laptop, and our test instance in EC2 are all using different versions of macOS and they say "Macintosh HD" as the label for the OS drive and I haven't seen this issue due to that.

• Just got a message from the dev team saying that IDF 5.0 will finally fix the whitespace issue!