ERROR 22 Bat Vol error

• When I attached my m5stickc to usb port i got the message "ERROR 22 ...." This happened with 2 M5Stickc. I tried the trick with the GND to BAT but that didn't work.

This morning one of the two started normally. I used an other USB cable. The other one still gives the error. Anyone any ideas?

• Hi @markiemark ,

What is the GND to BAT trick? Is this documented someplace?

What is the cause for this? This happened to a brand new M5StickC for me.

Thank you

• Hi @markiemark
    I noticed these threads on this community. However, none of them work afaik for the Error 22 Bat Vol error

https://community.m5stack.com/topic/2028/i-think-my-stickc-has-died-any-suggestions/7
    https://community.m5stack.com/topic/1464/m5stickc-screen-don-t-work/22

@m5stack Would you be able to please help out?

Thanks.

• @markiemark, I dont know if this helps but I hadn't used mine in a while and when I plugged it in it got this error. While plugged in and the error showing I pressed and held the power button and it turned off. Then while still plugged in I pressed the power button again and it started up with the demo. If that doesn't work I may have also been pressing the other button while trying to turn off.

• this error becuse of the battery voltage too low. you need use USB cable charge the device some time. then will be solve. if still not work. you could use the multimeter to check the battery voltage if it was 0V or 2.x V maybe the battery was broken. just contact the store.

• @m5stack Hello! I have the same issue. Charging the battery did not fix the problem for me (and it doesn't seem to be charged since the screen won't light up unless the device is USB powered).

• @nightsbird This did not work for me.

• I have the same problem. NightsBird solution does not work. The battery voltage on one of them is 0.5V and the other is 0.3V. I've never even used these. I had planned on finishing a project before the end of the year and now I'm sunk I fear.

I'm a first time M5Stack buyer and was hoping to use this platform for lots of prototyping... now I'm not so sure.

• Hello @tjfoth

I am sorry to hear about your troubles as I've been there myself and it is frustrating.

My personal experience is that batteries sometimes can get discharged below the recommended minimum voltage even though they have built-in protection. If that happens, unfortunately, the batteries sustain some permanent damage and need to be replaced.

I would try to contact the store and ask for a replacement.

I hope this experience doesn't discourage you from using M5Stack products as I think they produce nifty little devices - but yes, it would be nice if the batteries would be a little better.

Thanks
    Felix

• For anyone else encountering Error 22 Battery Low, what worked for me is to SLOWLY charge the battery with an external 1S Li-Po charger using the Vbat pins.
    I'd say it's save to assume the battery went into deep sleep / protection mode. The way to 'wake up' a Li-Po cell is to slowly and carefully, under observation!, charge the cell. Since it's only a 80mAh battery i recommend to charge it at 5-10mAh. Once the cell is woken up, the external charger can be disconnected and the internal M5StickC circuitry charge it from then on.
    I hope that helps, this thread was in the top search results for me.

(I also tried connecting a 300 Ohm resistor between 3.3V and Vbat, but that wasn't sufficient even though theoretically it should work)

• @fire_ned said in ERROR 22 Bat Vol error:

For anyone else encountering Error 22 Battery Low, what worked for me is to SLOWLY charge the battery with an external 1S Li-Po charger using the Vbat pins.
    I'd say it's save to assume the battery went into deep sleep / protection mode. The way to 'wake up' a Li-Po cell is to slowly and carefully, under observation!, charge the cell. Since it's only a 80mAh battery i recommend to charge it at 5-10mAh. Once the cell is woken up, the external charger can be disconnected and the internal M5StickC circuitry charge it from then on.

(I also tried connecting a 300 Ohm resistor between 3.3V and Vbat, but that wasn't sufficient even though theoretically it should work)

Sorry if this question sounds stupid. But I am new to M5Stack. When you said "SLOWLY charge the battery with an external 1S Li-Po charger using the Vbat pins" Did you mean connect a 1S Li-Po charger to the 3.3V and Batt pins on the M5Stick? Also what current 0.2A?

Thank you!

• @turnip said in ERROR 22 Bat Vol error:

@fire_ned said in ERROR 22 Bat Vol error:

For anyone else encountering Error 22 Battery Low, what worked for me is to SLOWLY charge the battery with an external 1S Li-Po charger using the Vbat pins.

Sorry if this question sounds stupid. But I am new to M5Stack. When you said "SLOWLY charge the battery with an external 1S Li-Po charger using the Vbat pins" Did you mean connect a 1S Li-Po charger to the 3.3V and Batt pins on the M5Stick? Also what current 0.2A?

Thank you!

I connected my adjustable bench power supply to the ground pin and battery pin of the m5stick and modify the current from 1A to 2A and when I saw come back on without the error 22, I use a regular USB-c charger to continue charging.