How to use M5Unit-PoESP32 ?

• Hi,

I purchased a Power Over Ethernet ESP32 (M5Unit-PoESP32) thinking I could run sensors and send the data over to either Home Assistant, Blynk or my own server. But receiving the unit I realize I have no idea how to use it even after reading all the online doc.

I purchased a USB Downloader Kit and I'm able to connect to it with my computer now and download the firmware.

1. In Arduino IDE what unit type should I select? The closest I found was "ESP32-WROOM-DA" but have never been able to see the serial output.

2. How do people use this device with the default firmware ??

3. Is there I2C pins I can use to plug sensors ?

4. In my Arduino IDE code I usually include WiFi.h. What is the replacement to have my same code work over ethernet?

#include <WiFi.h> // importing all the required libraries
    #include <WiFiClient.h>

Thanks!
    Frank

• @frankqc said in How to use M5Unit-PoESP32 ?:

M5Unit-PoESP32

do you have any other controller to work with it?
    The way I see it is that ie you have let say M5Core with some I2C units (sensors) connected to it
    then add your M5Unit-PoESP32 connected to M5Core too over UART port (blue) to give whole setup access to local network and power ...

docs examples etc

0_1707209400835_poe0.jpg

• Hello @frankqc

Scenario A : PoESP32 runs default AT command firmware and is used as unit connected to anther core.
    Scenario B : PoESP32 runs alternate firmware, runs standalone and is not a unit.

Re 1. : for scenario B try something like a generic ESP32 board, e.g. ESP32 Dev Module

Re 2. : for scenario A like @robski mentioned the other core sends AT commands to the PoESP32 unit. See examples here - section Example/Arduino.

Re 3. : for scenario B the Groove port should be usable for I2C.

Re 4. : for scenario B see example here.

Thanks
    Felix