Core 2 bricked after attempting to install firmware

• @mrmcquaid tried that many times - it just seems to be burnt out. It wont flash, no lights. There is the quick succession of beeps where the computer notices something has been plugged in, then the beep of it disconnecting. In the burner the COM port flashes a number then goes back to blank.

• Have you tried updating the CH9102 usb drivers?
    yes, GPIO 1 and 3 are the pins you need to directly connect to.
    if you look at the sticker on the base alt text

it sows which pins you need to use to bypass the CH9102.

If you have an arduino you need to program it as an ISP and then M5Burner should allow it to work instead of the CH9102 chip for programming.

Just remember that the Programmers TX must be connected G3 RXD and the programmers RX pin must be connected to G1 TXD pin along with the GND pin.

Connect 3v3 to the 3.3V pin or 5V to the 5V pin, do not connect both and do not have any other cables plugged in!

• @ajb2k3 said in Core 2 bricked after attempting to install firmware:

Have you tried updating the CH9102 usb drivers?

No. For me I have two identical devices. One works without issue. The other does not. On both macOS and Windows 11.

@ajb2k3 said in Core 2 bricked after attempting to install firmware:

yes, GPIO 1 and 3 are the pins you need to directly connect to.

Ah okay. My confusion is from here. That could indicate 1 and 18. But I realise now the wire that hits G18 is not what is labeled U0RX.
    0_1707314465389_Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 14.59.08.png

• @kristoffer Its easy to get confused because the ESP32 does not have fixed pin function but has a function matrix. stick to the pins marked on the labels.

Just remember that the Programmers TX must be connected G3 RXD and the programmers RX pin must be connected to G1 TXD pin along with the GND pin.

Connect 3v3 to the 3.3V pin or 5V to the 5V pin, do not connect both and do not have any other cables plugged in!

Hmm. No go with two different FT232R adaptors. Maybe I did manage to damage it somehow. It still boots and runs the factory test though. So the chip and board does seem to be functional.

.. Or maybe something else it wrong. Trying to flash through the pins does not seem to work on my Core2 that works on USB.

• This post is deleted!

Just to clarify. You don't do anything specific to bring it into boot loader mode? ESP32 documentation seems to indicate one should bring GPIO 0 low (attach it to GND) to force this.

Not I did once manage to make a FT232R programmer work with it as I was messing with some combination of that and a few other things. So I think I managed to erase it. But I am not having much success replicating and getting another connection.

• does anyone know how to hard reset with arduino cause my m5stack cardputer is showing the error with no serial data recived.... please help me i just got it

• @kristoffer The Stock adapter in the Core2 has the swiping electronics to pull gpis) low without user action.

@willyam said in Core 2 bricked after attempting to install firmware:

does anyone know how to hard reset with arduino cause my m5stack cardputer is showing the error with no serial data recived.... please help me i just got it

What did you install and what OS are you using?

Try opening M5Burner, switching on the card computer Press and hold BTNGO and press and release BTNrst.

M5Burner should flash up a blue box with a port number.

• I pulled the battery and pressed the Reset button whilst reconnecting to USB. This got the device to boot and be detected correctly. I couldn't erase the bad flash, but I flashed the stock firmware back using M5 Burner , this worked.