Configuring WLED (Sound Reactive) for M5StickC

• I have flashed the M5StickCPlus (1.1) with the popular Sound Reactive WLED (install.wled.me). I have been able to utilize the non-sound reactive WLED effects, IO have been been able to successfully configure the flashed code on the M5 to respond to the native M5StickC microphone. I believe the fundamental problem for me is that I am not sure of the correct pin assignments used in the M5 for the serial data, clock, and "word select" parameters that the WLED configuration needs (WLED Home -> Config -> Sound Settings).

In the WLED configuration, I am selecting "Generic I2S" from the "Microphone type" drop down (let me know if this is incorrect!). The config then wants the I2S pin values for: the Serial Data (SD), Word Select" (WS), and Clock (SCK).

I tried the following assignments with out experiencing any sound-reactive response from the SK6812 (RGBW) light strip (which was specified in WLEDs "LED Preferences" configuration.

SD = 34
    WS = 1
    SCKJ = 0

SD = 34
    WS = 0
    SCKJ = 0

SD = 34
    WS = 1
    SCKJ = 0

Can anyone help? I would think, given the popularity of WLED, that someone has walked down this path sucessfully!

• @gingerjohnny
    MIC (SPM1423)

CLK GPIO0
    Data GPIO34

https://docs.m5stack.com/en/core/m5stickc_plus

Not sure what WS is in WLED config

• Hi. Sorry about the necromancy, this post was just very on topic for what I had in mind, and despite WLEDs success I have not found that many discussions in relation to M5Stack products. Hope the issue with getting input from the mic to WLED was resolved. Might I inquire ; what was the correct I2S pin values for the M5Stick, and did you get it to work properly?
    The idea and purpose was using either a Atom Lite or a M5Stick and try set it so it also has DMX output. Been tinkering with Atom Lite and a Tail 485 module, and I have had intermitting success, but over all a failure as it always has ended up really unstable. This was using a RE485 module on a pcb. Using a Tail485 seems more complete though, as the form factor is so very cute and accessible. Having a fair few issues tho and its probably my lack of compiling experience.
    Now also saw that M5Stack has released a specific DMX nodule. Still want to use my M5Stick for it all too, and it would be golden to set up a simple interface with the screen and buttons.
    Can the latest WLED be assumed to work running on M5Stick? It has gone through a lot of changes over the last year..

• Hi @tacmonkey - I had a similar issue trying to capture audio with my m5stick. I had success using:

SD = 34
    WS = 0
    SCKJ = -1

The clock listed as pin 0 on the sticker on the back of the M5 Stick seems to actually relate to the word select clock. The code I was using required a value to be assigned for the SCKJ so I just set it to -1 to pass through an undefined pin value and this worked. I don't know if this would work in your particular situation but thought it worth passing on because it worked for me.