AWS question from a new M5stack owner

• Actually I am 'too dumb' at this point to even ask a question!
    But I must. I got the AWS version and it is way too messy/complex for this old 82 year old radio ham.
    Can I get rid of it and do the ham radio applications, graphics apps, arduino, micropython stuff without the AWS and Visual Code mess?

I did get the cute little fan example running, but did not learn ONE THING. :(
    Lots of docs downloaded to read.
    Ideas & links appreciated
    73, Bo W4GHV since '54

• Yes you can wipe the firmware and run Core2 firmware on it.
    Agreed the VS stuff is a PITA and I gave up and just use it as a Core2

BTW, Never be afraid to say "I Haz dumb!" we all have these moments from time to time and I get them even though I'm writing books and learning to program M5Stack devices!

• Hello @W4GHV

I admire your courage to learn something new. But yes, it feels like you are trying to fly a space ship without former training and no experience on any other form of transportation.

That said, the AWS kit is not that special. It consists of two parts: the top part is identical to the M5Core2 (except for the different color) and the bottom part is identical to the M5GO Battery Bottom2 (except for the secure element).

So yes, you can abandon AWS, VSCode etc. for now (or forever) and just use the M5Core2 / M5GO Battery Bottom2 for other experiments. You could try the ArduinoIDE or UiFlow.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Felix

• Many thanks for the info. I ventured into all the other modes and will experiment with the Arduino mode until I'm more familiar with this "cutie".

But I need an answer about the loss of the touch function in ALL modes. I'm about to return it.
    I'm guessing its not a hardware problem but software. I did the erase and reloaded the Core2 firmware, but still no touch.

Help appreciated.
    Anxious to move on to MicroPython.
    Bo W4GHV since '54