Members Introductions aka The Icebreaker discussion.

• Apparently I am dislexic (sp). The driver version is 10.1.8.2466.

Is my problem Windows 10? Should I try this on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine?

• M5Stack

@Hamster to set the record straight Maixpy is not developed by M5Stack and is only intended to be used with Stick V. It is possible to open a serial terminal in Maixpy and code M5Stack devices from the REPL, but there are much better ways for doing that.

I just wanted to double check, when you used vscode did you set your M5Stack into USB Mode?

• Yes, I set the M5Stack in USB mode.

I installed the toolchain for programming the M5Stack using VSCode in Windows 7 32-bit. The doohicky at the bottom of the VSCode window for adding an M5Stack did not even show up.

I have been able to REPL to the device using PuTTY without issue.

At this point, I think I need to move on. I am using a Visual Micro plugin for Visual Studio to develop using C++. Have I mentioned that I really wanted to use MicroPython instead? I'm much more versed in C++, but I wanted an excuse to learn Python. Oh, well.

I know that the ESP32 has not been out that long and it is amazing what can be done with it. I'll check on MicroPython for the M5Stack in a few months.

Thanks again for all your help!

• Hi 2 All,

I'm Red_Ant from Germany.
    I thought, it's time to start experimenting with these Arduino/ESP/whatever stuff, and I'm honest, I'm a real newbie. For that reason I decided to buy the M5Stack IoT StarterKit (white device).
    First hurdle was the setup of the editors ... I'm running Linux Mint.
    No chance to get it running ... so I switched to WIN10 ... no chance. Finally I figured out, that the short USB cable of the starter kit doesn'twork. With my Samsung phone line, everything worked fine.
    Great .... but
    Next I started with the sample app, already installed on the M5 ... ok, sensor on port A worked fine.
    But on port B, I wasn't able to get any of the other sensors running ... no feedback signal.
    I also found the explanation: no 5V on port B or C. Connecting the sensors to the 5V of port A (only 5V and GND) and all sensors worked fine.
    After all this, I thought to be ready for my first program ... so I give it a trial.
    What to say ... of course no success ... something with "uiflow lib missing".
    I also figured out, what's the problem: very old firmware.
    And after updating the firmware everything was fine ... except the missing 5V on port B & C.
    Any ideas ? Is there a switch to turn it on ? Setting/parameter/ ....

Currently I've got the feeling, that I have to return the device.

(Buy the way: in parallel I started with an Arduino ... without any trouble)

Red

• Be very careful with the units. They have colour coded connectors and only work with matching ports.

How do you know that there is no 5v on the other ports?

• Hi ajb2k3,
    I measured it with a multimeter ... no I didn't put the probes into the connector ... first I applied the original grove cable to the M5 and then extended it by breadboard cables, where it was easy and safe to connect the multimeter.
    And so I did for all three ports ... only on port A 5V could be seen

• @red_ant Is the base fitted securely and squarely to the face plate?

• @ajb2k3 ,

I think so ... the screws seems to be tightened

• @red_ant
    Do the leds on the side of the base work?

• @ajb2k3 ,
    shall we continue this discussion somewhere else ? Move it to another place in the forum ?

Regarding the question ... I can't see any LEDs