Older Core2 - v2.0.1-CORE2 won't install but v1.13.2 will.

• I have a Core2 that's about 1 or 1 1/2 years old. The UIFlow_Core2 v1.13.2 firmware loads OK on it, but trying to install UIFlow2.0 v2.0.1-CORE2 hangs. The message "Detecting chip type... Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again..." appears on the log

How do I know what Core2 hardware version I have and whether it is compatible with current firmware?

I've also been compiling programs for the past couple years for the Core2 using the Arduino 1.8.19 IDE. It's been about 6 months since I've used it, and now uploading the compiled program to the Core 2 hangs after the "Hard resetting via RTS pin" and semi-bricks the Core2 until I can reinstall UIFlow_Core2 v1.13.2, but that is a separate problem. (I think I am going to switch to the Arduino IDE 2.X, it's about time...)

• try to do config and ERASE first maybe.

• @wsanders said in Older Core2 - v2.0.1-CORE2 won't install but v1.13.2 will.:

I have a Core2 that's about 1 or 1 1/2 years old. The UIFlow_Core2 v1.13.2 firmware loads OK on it, but trying to install UIFlow2.0 v2.0.1-CORE2 hangs. The message "Detecting chip type... Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again..." appears on the log

How do I know what Core2 hardware version I have and whether it is compatible with current firmware?

I've also been compiling programs for the past couple years for the Core2 using the Arduino 1.8.19 IDE. It's been about 6 months since I've used it, and now uploading the compiled program to the Core 2 hangs after the "Hard resetting via RTS pin" and semi-bricks the Core2 until I can reinstall UIFlow_Core2 v1.13.2, but that is a separate problem. (I think I am going to switch to the Arduino IDE 2.X, it's about time...)

It would help if you told us what computer you are using.

The error message is normal and does take a while.
    UIFlow 2.0.1 for Core2 is fully compatible with all Core2 revisions as I just updated mine with no issues.

The revision number is written on the main PCB visible when you remove the base.

• Computer is Fedora 39 linux. I just upgraded to 39 and the Arduino IDE was working fine for my M5 devices under 38. The 39 upgrade did somehow cause the Arduino IDE to "lose" pyserial, presumably because pyserial seems to have been part of the python "core" pre-39 but now it is a separate package. I had to install the "official" Fedora pyserial 3.5-6 package to ge the IDE to work right after I upgraded

The IDE works fine with Arduinos.

I think I am just going to wipe my Arduino IDE and install the 2.0 one. I am assuming the M5Stack libraries work with it.

• @wsanders I had similar issues had to wipe the device each time after flashing.

The Arduino IDE stuff that gets installed caused issues with my device but that could be device related as mentioned above doing a wipe first then flashing the correct ROM worked.

• @wsanders Have been using Arduino IDE ver2 for a year now and I can report that Arduino IDE ver2 works perfectly with all my old and new M5Stack boards.

• @trevordev What Arduino IDE stuff causes issues? I haven't heard of that!

All ESP32 have a bullet proof BootLoader hard-wired in non-erasable ROM.
    When you load your Arduino sketch it is loaded by the BootLoader and then your code runs in its own memory.
    UIFlow/Python installs an interpreter into your user memory to operate the UIFlow/Python program that you create.

• I have a first edition Core2 and Core2 AWS and have no issues updating the firmware.