[NEW] UIFlow-Desktop-IDE not able to reset target

• @ajb2k3 do you thing my M5 Core is defective? Does the reset after download use a hardware reset or is it a software reset? ...if it is a hardware reset then in fact it is defective...if it is a soft reset then i dont understand....i have worked already 1.5 days and not even one time the automatic reset worked (the automatic download just works once after manual reset)....should i return the M5 Core to the store (i bought it on the official M5Stack Taobao store in China)...

• @jcabad100 I'm still looking into this and am yet to hear back for the programmer.

Sorry again but what colour core do you have?
    Can you post a picture of the inside of your M5STACK CORE please?

• @ajb2k3 here you go (picture attached...if it the local machine URL works).....[additionally yesterday and today i have another issue not reported. I am working with UIFlow-Desktop...sometimes the Core cannot be reset even manually....when pushing the reset button (while USB is connected) the Core issue a low level audible noise (resembles to the old dial up modem times of the 1990s....but with one single audible tone) and remains in that DEAD-LOCK state....only after disconnecting the USB is possible to reset it....nasty behavior....] ![alt text](D:__M5Stack\HW\M5 Core internals JC Abad 11.5.2019.jpeg)

• @ajb2k3 how to post a picture?? if i click on the this window Picture icon i get "![alt text](image url)" inserted on my text instead of a link to upload the picture....damn it is complicated....

• You need to upload the image to an image hosting site (i'm using pinterest at the moment) then copy the address to the image and past it over the image url text.
    Local machine addresses don't work, it must be hosted on a website.
    even github will work at a pinch.
    alt text

• @ajb2k3 alt text ...this is it...thanks....

• That’s the M5Go, and no it should not have problems resetting.

• @ajb2k3 well, regarding the name of the product M5Go i tought that is the name of the kit...not clear with so many modules, optinos....anyhow, believe me, i wouldn't be losing your time and mine reporting and unexistent problem....as i said maybe it is related to the UIFlow Desktop which i use because the UIFlow web version, as also reported, almost never works....let me try UIFlow web version and see that, provided it connects thru the internet, if the CPU resets after downaload or run....

• @ajb2k3 i retested using UiFlow browser version (http://flow.m5stack.com/ ) and the behaviour is actually similar than with the desktop version i.e. the first time the application is downloaded and CPU resets and (most of the time) successfully execute the program....but when the program is running is impossible to download an new version of the program without a manual reset first .....

• @jcabad100 said in [NEW] UIFlow-Desktop-IDE not able to reset target:

@ajb2k3 i retested using UiFlow browser version (http://flow.m5stack.com/ ) and the behaviour is actually similar than with the desktop version i.e. the first time the application is downloaded and CPU resets and (most of the time) successfully execute the program....but when the program is running is impossible to download an new version of the program without a manual reset first .....
    This is actually normal with the Web IDE version, never found out why but when a downloaded program is running it blocks the UIFlow connect (I'm learning this myself)

As to the names, there is a document highlighting the different versions in the Projects section.

Black = Core,
    Gray = Core+
    White = M5Go
    Red = M5 Fire.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the programmer to discuss your issue.

The date stamp that I was asking about is the little white silkscreen "2018.3"

• @ajb2k3 this morning i reserved the servo kit and i successfully installed/stacked ...although i am not able to use the original screws to properly stack all 3 layers together...shouldn't additional stack kits come with four longer screws to fix the whole stack??...anyhow that is not the point of this reply; what i wanted to mention is that after programming the servo application almost identically as in the tutorial (https://m5stack.com/video) i was actually able to (using UIFlow-Desktop V1.2.3) download and run the target (M5Go) i.e. while changing the application program, without the need of manual reset as i had reported above. Maybe the fact that i reopen it and reconnected/pressed the stack layers together changed something?...it remains a mistery.....the lack of predictability /reliability of that behavior and the one of the manual/power on reset are very annoying....i was thinking to use the M5Stack HW/SW to offer computer science and robotics to children/teenagers and nonn-tech adults but with such unreliable behavior of the M5Stack HW/SW it is really difficult to go for it; it would result in frustration from the students and maybe on a total failure of the training attempt.

• As to the comment in the beginning about screws, I did ask and M5Stack have produced a screw kit to fill the bill
    M3 Screw Kit
    alt text

I heard back from the programmer this morning, there was an issue with an upgrade to UIFlow which resulted in the server having to be rebuilt. I am constantly pestering him about the stability of UIFlow and constantly testing it while I write my guide book.

I must point out that they are currently porting the firmware from one branch of Micropython to their own custom branch and as they are a young company (around 1 year old) its to be expected. Please, please bare with it and any issues you come across, please report to the Facebook page.

I am also looking into direct Micropython programming (apparently that what all the cool kids in school use!) and just testing out R.E.P.L on the USB side of things.

Wait you managed to get the official servo module?
    I kept finding it out of stock and so designed my own (V2 & V3 assembled beside me waiting for testing but already working on a V4 as a i2c Unit instead of a module.

• @ajb2k3 ...interesting....i haven't seen the screw kit on the M5Stack official Taobao store , i hope it comes out soon. I bought the Servo module there, M5Stack official Taobao store.
    Regarding the use of MicroPhyton, which IDE is recommended? In any case as i mention i plan to organize programming and robotic courses for children, youngsters and mainly non-tech adults so i have to stick to Blockly.... i really hope the M5Stack R&D team (i tough you worked for them) manage to stabilize the platform sooner than later. Thank you! JC

• @jcabad100 UIFlow has micropython built in but you can directly access it over the USB in a terminal.

• @ajb2k3 Also there is a blocky environment for Arduino but I don't know how compatible it is with the libraries.

I buy all my stuff from the official Aliexpress store.