How do I enter BOOT mode on M5Core2: Wrong boot mode detected (0x0)! The chip needs to be in download mode

• Having a nightmare with my new M5Core23 device which decided it no longer wanted to play! It has been working for the first few days but as of today I am unable to restore the factory image using M5Burner, and any sketch I load into ArduinoIDE simply does not upload. I see nothing on the screen even when plugged into USB.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the correct serial port drivers, restarted my Mac and still get nothing.

So... how do I enter BOOT mode on the M5Core2 please? I gather on the M5Stack it was via one of the three hardware buttons, which I believe have been replaced by the three built in touch screen software buttons on the M5Core2. So, does this mean I need to open up the device and wire whichever the BOOT pin is to ground when I upload? Is that the way to get this device into BOOT mode?

if so, what is the BOOT pin I should ground for the M5Core2 please?

Hoping someone can help. Many thanks.

• @themusicman No need to open anything. Cold boot the Mac and try to erase the M5Core2 in M5Burner BEFORE trying to write new firmware.

• Thanks @ajb2k3

I tried this earlier too, these are the results of trying that... any suggestions?

esptool.py v3.3.2-dev
    Serial port /dev/tty.wchusbserial54FC0182651
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Applications/M5Burner.app/Contents/Resources/packages/tool/serial/serialposix.py", line 265, in open
    self.fd = os.open(self.portstr, os.O_RDWR | os.O_NOCTTY | os.O_NONBLOCK)
    OSError: [Errno 16] Resource busy: '/dev/tty.wchusbserial54FC0182651'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Applications/M5Burner.app/Contents/Resources/packages/tool/esptool.py", line 5399, in <module>
    _main()
    File "/Applications/M5Burner.app/Contents/Resources/packages/tool/esptool.py", line 5392, in _main
    main()
    File "/Applications/M5Burner.app/Contents/Resources/packages/tool/esptool.py", line 4699, in main
    esp = esp or get_default_connected_device(ser_list, port=args.port, connect_attempts=args.connect_attempts,
    File "/Applications/M5Burner.app/Contents/Resources/packages/tool/esptool.py", line 110, in get_default_connected_device
    _esp = ESPLoader.detect_chip(each_port, initial_baud, before, trace,
    File "/Applications/M5Burner.app/Contents/Resources/packages/tool/esptool.py", line 363, in detect_chip
    detect_port = ESPLoader(port, baud, trace_enabled=trace_enabled)
    File "/Applications/M5Burner.app/Contents/Resources/packages/tool/esptool.py", line 320, in init
    self._port = serial.serial_for_url(port)
    File "/Applications/M5Burner.app/Contents/Resources/packages/tool/serial/init.py", line 88, in serial_for_url
    instance.open()
    File "/Applications/M5Burner.app/Contents/Resources/packages/tool/serial/serialposix.py", line 268, in open
    raise SerialException(msg.errno, "could not open port {}: {}".format(self._port, msg))
    serial.serialutil.SerialException: [Errno 16] could not open port /dev/tty.wchusbserial54FC0182651: [Errno 16] Resource busy: '/dev/tty.wchusbserial54FC0182651'

• @themusicman This means that something else in OSX is access the USBport via a terminal preventing M5Burner from being able to access the port.

Please make sure only M5Burner is running and that no other terminal software is running.

• @ajb2k3 said in How do I enter BOOT mode on M5Core2: Wrong boot mode detected (0x0)! The chip needs to be in download mode:

@themusicman This means that something else in OSX is access the USBport via a terminal preventing M5Burner from being able to access the port.

Please make sure only M5Burner is running and that no other terminal software is running.

I tried on my MacBookPro (original issue was on iMac) with no other serial terminal software running, exactly the same issues unfortunately. I have now returned the M5Core2 device back to thePiHut and am awaiting a replacement.

Thanks for your support though @ajb2k3 - it is much appreciated.