Forwarded Adafruit support for M5Stack Faces

• I was requested by the Adafruit forum support team to post my issue with my recent M5Stack Faces kit purchase through their store page in the M5Stack forums.

---------- Adafruit post ----------

Hello. To make this easier, I'll just past the email that I sent to adafruit "contact us" page who then directed me to post it in the forums. No pictures were taken as I wasn't expecting it to stop working.

"I'm fairly certain this won't happen, but I'd like to return my recent M5Stack Faces set I purchased. It worked just fine (mostly) when I used the demo that was preinstalled on the unit. The screen flipped and wasn't showing right after a few times of the M5Go demo. When it got to the gyroscope demo it would crash and reboot. After a little while it worked OK when I put it back on the base and added the keyboard face to it.

I uploaded a few sample programs from the M5 Burner tool and it was hit or miss with the LCD coming on. I put the LovyanLauncher on it and it was fine yesterday. I was even able to verify the SD card slot only was able to ready my 16GB uSD cards.

Today I was going to tinker with it, but all I got was a backlight and nothing else. All the test programs I uploaded to is said success, but nothing on the screen or sound. Just a backlight. This is where I'm curious if I will be able to return it due to it not working properly after a couple of hours of testing. I took the core apart to check if the screen was fully connected and the ribbon cable broke off. I was able to solder it back on once, but still just a backlight and nothing else. I have since put the core back together and the faces back in its box for support to review my inquiry."

---------- Adafruit reply ----------

"The M5Stack is unusual that we don't support it directly through the Adafruit forums. You will need to contact M5Stack or go through their forum to see if they have any suggestions."

• I have M5Stack Core Basic which after months and months of working fine suddenly is now only showing LCD backlight on after power is on. I can see its COM port fine, I can see COM port messages being printed fine, I can connect to it and load project via COM port or remotely via UIflow (wifi works) but......screen is blank with backlihgt LEDs on all the time...
    You mentioned that you opened it, dismantled and soldered connections which would void warranty I think. Did you tried to ERASE it using M5Burner then load factory test easyloader in to it?

• Just curious, did you update the firmware between when it was working and when it stopped working? M5Stack do sell replacement screens for $30 ish as I had to check after braking the ribbon cable trying to replace the glass screen cover I accidentally broke putting in a screw that was too long.
    Are you sure it’s soldered correctly?
    Did you try running code that accidentally accessed the pins used by the screen?

• @ajb2k3 said in Forwarded Adafruit support for M5Stack Faces:

Just curious, did you update the firmware between when it was working and when it stopped working? M5Stack do sell replacement screens for $30 ish as I had to check after braking the ribbon cable trying to replace the glass screen cover I accidentally broke putting in a screw that was too long.
    Are you sure it’s soldered correctly?
    Did you try running code that accidentally accessed the pins used by the screen?

think you could get core2 for very close to this screen replacement price tag,

• @robski I did. No functionality.

• @ajb2k3 The first thing I did was update the firmware when I first noticed the issue with the base demo program. The codes I ran was all in the M5 flashing tool.

• @ajb2k3 forgot to mention regarding the soldering. I used one of my pencil point solder tips and did a continuity check between all the pins. no bridges were found.