Unstable program uploading to M5Stack Fire.

• I purchased an M5Stack Fire from AliExpress from the official M5Stack Store several months ago. I use Arduino IDE 1.8.10 (Windows 8.1, 64 bit), baud rate 115200 for uploading my sketches. When I start from the cold condition (the core is not powered on for a long time) then I can upload successfully several times. However, after a long debugging process (which I consider the Fire is entering a hot condition) I experience a connection error and my sketches are not uploaded.

I have other core products such as FACES and M5Stick C and no such trouble occurs with the same IDE, baud rates and cable.

Is there any solution for this?

• I just experimented with how to solve the problem.
    (1) I disconnect the base of M5Stack Fire (it is labeled M5GO) and uploaded the same program many times (until the Fire became "hot condition"). It seemed OK.
    (2) I docked the Fire to the original base and uploaded the same program many times and again the issue appeared.

At least in this stage, I can conclude (without knowing the reason) that the base of the M5Stack Fire (M5GO) may be the cause of the problem. The other possibility is that by disconnecting the base, no power is supplied to the core so that everything is reset and things go to normal. I do not know.

• Liemph, thanks for sharing your observations.

I am totally new user of M5Stack Fire. My goal is to use it for teaching and for that reason, I would like to keep it simple and use only UIFlow and not to use Arduino or external Python tools.

In your case, why did you prefer Arduino over UIFlow?

My experience was that after many hours of changing the IDE versions and M5SF firmware, I was not able to download any code. After switching to flow.m5stack.com and selecting the latest M5SF firmware I was able to download and do it without USB cable.

PS. In your case study, I believe that the explanation is in the hardware reset when you are changing the bases.

• @ollie said in Unstable program uploading to M5Stack Fire.:

Liemph, thanks for sharing your observations.

I am totally new user of M5Stack Fire. My goal is to use it for teaching and for that reason, I would like to keep it simple and use only UIFlow and not to use Arduino or external Python tools.

My experience was that after many hours of changing the IDE versions and M5SF firmware, I was not able to download any code. After switching to flow.m5stack.com and selecting the latest M5SF firmware I was able to download and do it without USB cable.

PS. In your case study, I believe that the explanation is in the hardware reset when you are changing the bases.

Objectively there is no strong reason to prefer Arduino IDE over UIFlow. Personally, I am working for a considerably long time with Arduino therefore subjectively choose the IDE. The UNO CPU is usually slower than ESP32 and since the IDE produced a compiled code then I think the compiled code is faster. I am working for control systems which demand speed. Another thing that you should consider is when your program becomes complicated and long then the UIFlow can be too much to handle.

• @ollie said in Unstable program uploading to M5Stack Fire.:

Liemph, thanks for sharing your observations.

For the last few days, using the Arduino IDE I developed my codes related to IMU with my Fire and got frustrated since the Fire did not respond at all (blank LCD). I tried the same codes on M5Stack Grey and they worked perfectly. I think something was wrong with my Fire. Then I burned my Fire with the UIFlow firmware and for the time being, the Fire works well. But I have to use the Singapore server since the one provided by the server in China is not stable. Now I am learning the new graphical language.