ESP 32 and ESP 8266 libs

• @kryten
    Hey thanks that looks like nice work...

I updated the sketch with your suggestion and it compiled correctly..... I did get it to connect successfully to the internet and got to the STA page. Excellent.

However before I got that to work I had another issue as my password contained a pipe ( | ) symbol, which was not being transferred to the URL link correctly (perhaps as it wasn't on the list at the bottom of the sketch - String urlDecode).

Anyway, ultimately I changed the wifi password to remove the pipe & the correct password was then being fed into the url when I enter in the password.... & correct password & SSID on M5Stack screen.

Unfortunately after reloading the revised sketch it has gone back to "timing out" despite reflashing again using "pong"and then re-loading the revised sketch....

Curious ? Seems I will need to work on it a bit more. Worked b4 though !

RE. Mario Bros..... For me, this sketch came loaded when i bought the FACES modules (which includes a core unit). However you can get the NES_EMU software from github but from what it says you will need a copy of the ROM file. Have not tried loading it myself.
    https://github.com/m5stack/M5Stack-nesemu

You might also be interested to check out the DIY controller shown on this review video recently posted on twitter by "Live Sparks": https://youtu.be/ThuaCke6c34

• The pipe is %7C url encoded. So adding

s.replace("%7C", "|");

at the end will let you use your pipe in the password.

I will look in to the nes emulator.

• @kryten
    Thanks - I had actually used that technique and from what I can tell it seemed to work fine (no errors) - I just decided to simplify my password anyway...

Next..... My SSID had a blank space in it.... I removed that. Still "timed out".

• @kryten
    This is working for me now.... using the original code.

Removed space from SSID and earlier on had removed the pipe (|) in my password [although this could have been managed as suggested above]. Adjusted wifi router settings for WPA/WPA2 - Personal(Recommended) from "Automatic" to "WPA2-PSK" specifically. Connected to M5Stack via webpage , entered wifi settings... it retarts. Failed to connect to wifi. Restarted M5Stack again... no connection. Try again - this time connection is successful.

Each time I restart M5Stack now it establishes a wifi connection very quickly.

• @jimit

I have tom many things connected to my WiFi to bother with canhing any router setup. And my esp8266's always connects. I figured it was best to fix this in code rather than doing workaround with WiFi.

• I can't get this example to work. I modified the setup to:

[code]
    void setup() {
    m5.begin();
    preferences.begin("wifi-config");

delay(10);
    if (restoreConfig()) {
    if (checkConnection()) {
    settingMode = false;
    startWebServer();
    return;
    } else {
    settingMode = true;
    setupMode();
    }
    }
    }
    [code]
    I tried two SSID's, with and without spaces. There are no non-alpha or special characters in my password.

• @kryten
    Fair enough... is a pain changing setups. Definitely better to change it in code where possible. But as you are no doubt aware, fixing the pipe in the password was straight forward, but fixing the issue of having a space in the SSID looks more involved..... If the ESP8266's will handle the space in the SSID, perhaps some of the code used on the ESP8266 can be transplanted to solve this ?

Or, as per the discussion in the following link, you could try using IDF... or try connecting to another access point just as a test. https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/issues/836

Also, I could only successfully connect using the original code from the M5Stack Examples - not the modified code.

• @ispybadguys

Have you tried the original code from the M5Stack Examples folder ? This modified example did not work for me.

As I just mentioned above, the original code worked for me once I had removed the space from my SSID.

It wont connect until you connect to the M5Stack webpage, enter your wifi details and allow it to restart... then it should connect. Try a few times if it doesn't work first time. Third time was the charm for me.

• @JimiT @ispybadguys

I wil lhave to try this once more. But my office has a space in the pwd. Would be really nice to have it work with space as well.

• @kryten

While not ideal, an alternative option may be to setup another wifi router on the network and set it up without the space in the SSID.